With National Vegetarian Week running 15th-21st May I’ve teamed up with Mob Kitchen to bring you some of their best veggie recipes for you to try at home! Founder Ben Lebus is the king of bringing you recipes you will try any day of the week, faff free!
This one is a Mexican classic – Quesadillas! What I love most is that this recipe will feed 4 for under a tenner with the assumption that you only have salt, pepper and olive oil in your kitchen – nothing else!
- 2 Large Avocados – £1.80
- 2 Peppers (Red, Yellow or Orange, NOT Green) – £1.00
- 1 Brown Onion – £0.16
- 400g Black Beans – £0.75
- Smoked Paprika – £0.85
- 1 Lime – £0.30
- Bunch of Coriander – £0.70
- 2 Corn on the Cobs – £1.00
- 450g Cheddar – £2.50
- 8 White Tortilla Wraps – £0.90
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Finely chop 2 peppers and 1 onion. Place in frying pan on medium heat. Once softened, Add three teaspoons smoked paprika. Allow to soften further for another 5 minutes.
Tip: Ben from Mob Kitchen says “Smoked paprika is the key here. Don’t get the unsmoked stuff.”
3. Wrap two corn on the cobs in tin foil. Place on baking tray and place in oven for 20 minutes, turning half way through. When ready, remove them from the oven and slice off the sweet corn and set aside in a bowl.
4. Pop your black beans to the pan. Add salt, pepper and a handful of chopped coriander. Mash everything together and remove from heat.
5. Salsa time! Scoop out flesh of two avocados into a bowl. Add 4 finely chopped tomatoes, a handful of coriander, the juice of a lime and season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Mash everything together and put in the fridge.
6. Heat a frying pan. Drizzle in some olive oil. Place a white tortilla wrap on the pan. Scatter some cheddar over it. Spoon some black bean mix on top of that. Scatter over some sweet corn kernels. Scatter more chedder on top, and cover with another wrap. Cook for 3-4 minutes, and then flip it. The wraps should be golden, and the cheese should be melted. When this is so, remove from the heat and slice into quarters.
7. Serve the quesadillas with the cold salsa! Enjoy!
Check out more yummy recipes from Mob Kitchen here and come back on 19th May for my next guest recipe.