This week is National Vegetarian Week and I’ve teemed up with Mob Kitchen to give you the chance to try some of their irresistible veggie recipes. It was a Meat Free Mexican Monday with Mob’s Smokey, Cheesy Sweetcorn & Bean Quesadillas, but today’s veggie recipe is a little more of a classic. With the soft egg, the soft guac and the crispy rösti, it’s also a texture match made in heaven!
- 4 Sweet Potatoes – £1.40
- 11 Eggs – £1.70
- 2 Large Avocados – £1.80
- Bunch of Parsley – £0.70
- Crushed Chillies – £0.85 1 Lemon – £0.30
- Bunch of Chives – £0.70
Total Cost – £7.94 – This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Grate the Sweet P’s with a normal box grater.
3. Add the potato into a bowl. Crack in 3 eggs. Add a handful of chopped parsley, a handful of chopped spring onions and a teaspoon of crushed chillies. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix everything together.
4. Get a baking tray and line it with baking paper. Make 8 fishcake sized röstis, and line them up on the tray. They will be quite loose at this point, so don’t worry. Just squeeze them into shape and put them in the oven. They will firm up and crisp up. Bake for 30 minutes, turning after 20 minutes.
5. Guac time! Scoop the flesh out of two avocados. Mash it in a bowl. Add a handful of chopped chives, the juice of a lemon and season with salt, pepper and olive oil. With everything together and set aside.
6. Now for the eggs. Boil a pan of water and carefully crack your egg into a glass. With a fork or a whisk, create a little whirlpool in the water. Pour the egg into the water, not in the centre of the whirlpool, but on the edge. The water will fold the white over the yolk and should form a nice little ball.
7. Cook for 3 minutes on a medium heat. To check if it’s done, just gently lift the egg with a spoon. If the white is still a bit wobbly, leave it for 10 more seconds. If it’s firm, remove from the heat.
8. Assembly time. Spoon a good helping of guac on top of the rösti. And then put your egg on top. Sprinkle some more chives and crushed chillies over the top, and tuck in!
If you’ve enjoyed my Mob Kitchen recipe from found Ben Lebus you can check out more in video format here!