So here’s my second vegan recipe! And this time I’ve partnered up with Divine Chocolate to #MakeSomethingDivine! I was given the theme of bringing people together and what better way to do so than with something vegans and non-vegans alike can all enjoy? So give this chocolate orange torte a go – it’s a crowd pleaser!
Ingredients – makes 1 torte to serve around 12 (depending on how big you make the slices!)
- 6 dates
- 120g oats
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 6tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 375g Divine 70% Dark Chocolate
- 300ml coconut milk
- 2 ½ tsp. orange essence
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 1 sachet of vegan gelatine
- 75g caster sugar
- 250ml water
- 250ml smooth orange juice
- 1 ½ tsp. orange essence
- Preheat the oven to 160°
- First it’s time to make the base. Start by blitzing the oats in a food processor to a flour like consistency. Decant into a mixing bowl.
- Now in the mixer process the dates, coconut oil, sugar and cocoa powder until reasonably smooth and combined.
- Add the wet mixture into the oats and use your hands to bring together.
- Push the mix into the base, and up the sides of a fluterd tart tin and use the bottom of a glass to flatten and smooth it out.
Tip: If your mix isn’t quite coming together enough to form a ball then add a little water to make it wetter.
- Bake the base for 20 minutes.
- Once your base is out of the oven you can make your filling.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- Once it’s melted whisk in the coconut milk. Don’t stop whisking until it’s all combined and glossy.
- Finally add the orange flavouring and maple syrup. You can then pour the filling into the torte base leaving around 1 ½ cm at the top for the jelly you’ll add later.
- Put the torte in the fridge to set for around 3 hours or until completely firm.
- Only when the torte is firmly set should you make the jelly.
- To make the jelly simmer the water and sugar just enough to melt the sugar granules.
- Mix the orange essence into the orange juice and sprinkle over the gelatin. Stir until it’s dissolved.
- Add the orange juice mix to the sugar and water and bring it to the boil.
- Pour the jelly mix into a jug and leave for 5 minute to cool a little. ( Don’t leave it longer as it will begin to set)
- Pour the jelly on top of the set torte and put it straight into the fridge.
- Leave the torte in the fridge for another hour to let the jelly set.
- Once the jelly is set, slice and enjoy the torte with your friends and family. It’s great on its own or with a scoop of vegan ice cream! ( I like Coconut Collab Snowconut!)
I’d love to see picture of your chocolate creations that are great at bringing people together. Tag me (@Ellieskitchenuk) and use #makesomethingDivine on social media!