When I was asked to bake my signature cupcake for Cupcake Day in aid of Alzheimer’s Society I just couldn’t say no! I don’t so much have a signature cake as I do a signature frosting. Chocolate Cloud Frosting is my go to when baking cupcakes or layer cakes.
This recipe makes enough frosting for 20 cupcakes or 1 layer cake.
- 500g icing sugar
- 200g dark chocolate
- 90ml double cream
- 455g of butter – softened
- Soften the butter in a bowl; you can either do this by hand or with a mixer. You need it to be light and creamy.
- Add the cream and the icing sugar and mix thoroughly until smooth and light. Around 5 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Once melted stir to cool in down a little. Once cool to the touch add the chocolate to the buttercream mix and combine.
- If your frosting is too soft put it in the fridge for 5 minute to thicken.
- Pipe and frost away!