When you think of food during summer in Britain what do you think of? For me, I think of strawberries. British strawberries, when at their best are hard to beat, but they are often overshadowed by the ingredients we cover them with. This perfect summer salad showcases the best of British strawberries in an unusual, modern, and healthy way and thanks to my monthly mystery box from Farndon Fields Farmshop I had the finest strawberries to work with!
It is important when you make salads that you use the very best of everything on offer, and that’s why I shop for my food at Farndon Fields Farmshop. Not only does Farndon Fields only sell the freshest of produce but knowing that my ingredients are so local just seems to make everything taste better! So take pride in your ingredient pickings for this salad, and enjoy the best of British!
The Dressing – Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 130g Strawberries, diced
- 60ml Balsamic Vinegar – please use the good stuff!
- 1 ¼ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Black Pepper
- 1 bag of Spinach – If you aren’t a fan, try lambs lettuce instead
- Strawberries, halved – The more the merrier!
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Broad Beans, podded and skinned
- 80g Feta cheese
This recipe is so simple you can even make it in the morning before work. My only tip is to leave the dressing off until just before eating, that way your leaves won’t become soggy!
- For the dressing add all of the ingredients into a food blender with 50ml of water and whizz together. Taste and adjust with more pepper if needed
Tip: If your dressing is too sharp add a tablespoon of olive oil to contrast the vinegar.
- Compose your salad. Don’t forget to make the strawberries the hero, so while it is up to you how much of each ingredient you use be careful not to overshadow the sweetness of the strawberries with too much feta or to add too much sweetness with a tomato overload!
Give this quirky salad a chance, and while you’re at it why not try out your local farm shop or find out more about mine, Farndon Fields, here!