Does anyone else love the naughty, childlike feeling you get after eating dessert for dinner? Well I certainly do! Which means Pancake Day is the day for me! So when I was invited to Bill’s Restaurant to try out their limited edition Pancake Party Pancake Day menu I just couldn’t say no!
Running 20th-28th February, Bill’s Annual Pancake Party saw the launch of a brand new pancake menu stacked with super yummy new options. I have had Bill’s famously fluffy American style buttermilk pancakes before but these new, decedent offerings take brunching (or lunching or anytime of the day munching) to a new level! Here is what is on offer…
To try the new menu out I visited Bill’s Restaurant in Chelmsford, and our server Sammy recommended the Banana Spilt pancakes, so I couldn’t say no! The pancakes were, as expected, light fluffy and dripping in sweet sauce and ice cream, but what I was even more impressed with was the sheer amount of fresh fruit in-between each cloud-like pancake. So thanks for the recommendation Sammy!
On Pancake Day itself (Tuesday 28th February) Bill’s will give away a mini jar of Bill’s Lemon Curd to every customer, alongside a pancake recipe to take away so you can recreate the experience at home, or why not try my Bill’s Banana Spilt Pancake recipe below!
Bill’s Banana Split Pancakes
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 65g butter
- 625ml buttermilk
- 5 eggs
- 65g caster sugar
- 3g salt
- 25g baking powder
- 375g plain flour
- Butter and oil for frying
- 12 strawberries
- 2 bananas
- 4 scoops of chocolate ice cream
- 4 scoops of strawberry ice cream
- 60g chocolate sauce
- 60g strawberry sauce
- 100 ml double cream
- 4 springs of mint
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Melt the butter and set to side to cool slightly.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs and mix them together with the buttermilk and melted butter in a large jug.
- Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and using a hand whisk combine until the batter is thick but very smooth.
- Lightly whip the cream and slice the bananas and strawberries.
- Add a little oil and butter to a hot frying pan and spoon in a ladle of pancake batter.
- Cook for around 2-3 minutes until the pancake starts to bubble, flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with another ladle of mix.
- To serve, stack 3 pancakes with sliced strawberry and banana in between. Top with scoops of ice cream, whipped cream and the sauces.
- Finish off with sprig of mint and a dusting of icing sugar ( if you’re feeling fancy!)
…but if you just can’t be bothered to cook for yourself then find your nearest Bill’s Restaurant here it will be worth the visit for sure! Happy Pancake Day!