These Banoffee Cupcakes are surprisingly easy. The moreish banana cream topping is oh so yummy and I like to think that using almond flour in the cake batter makes it just a little healthier… besides the banana bit counts as one of your five a day right?!
Ingredients – Will make 12 large cupcakes
- 235g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 250g caster sugar
- 235g ground almonds
- 80g self-raising flour
- 5 eggs
- 60 ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1x Tin on Carnation Caramel (or you can make your own caramel sauce using the recipe here, I prefer homemade but it’s up to you!)
- 600ml double cream
- 2 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
- If you are making your own caramel sauce, start by doing so and then putting it to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until it’s pale in colour.
- Add the eggs and vanilla essence and mix thoroughly.
- Now add the ground almonds and sieve in the flour. Fold these in until completely combined and follow with the double cream.
- Spoon the mix into cupcake cases and put in the oven to bake for around 18-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- When the cupcakes are slightly cooled you need to core out part of the middle to create a dent for the caramel. Don’t go all the way to the bottom or you’ll have a leaking cupcake situation on your hands!
Tip: I use a melon baller to do this, I find it works better than any fancy cupcake coring gadget you might find!
- Once your cupcakes are cored, spoon the caramel into the dents, enough so that it sits flush against the top of the cupcake.
- Now leave the cupcakes to cool completely. When they are cool you can make the banana cream.
- Whip your cream; it’s important you don’t over whip it! It needs to be stiff enough to hold its shape when piped but not so stiff that it’s grainy or split.
- Add the mashed banana to the cream and fold through.
- Pipe the cream onto the top of each cupcake. Make sure you pipe a fair amount on so the banana flavour comes through enough. You can’t have banoffee without banana!
- Finish each cake off with a slice of banana and some cocoa powder.
Voila! You’re done, now it’s time to scoff your face and enjoy this fun, modern take on a classic Banoffee pie! Don’t forget to tag me in any pictures on social media if you try any of my yummy, foolproof recipes.